The APEC Telecommunications and Information Ministerial Meeting was held on August 7-8 in St.Petersburg as a part of Russia's chairmanship in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).
Activities in the field of telecommunications and information technology are focused on the implementation of projects aimed at advancing priority objectives, set by the relevant ministries and leaders of APEC economies. These priorities include:
- bridging the digital technology gap;
- new generation networks and technologies;
- e-government system;
- mutual recognition agreements;
- reform in the sphere of regulations;
- enhancing the capacity for using information and communication technology;
- protecting information and communication infrastructure;
- cyber security;
- promoting an Asia-Pacific information community.
The ministerial meeting concluded with the adoption of the St.Petersburg Declaration, which outlined the results of activities in this sphere over the past two years and highlighted its future development prospects. The Declaration also includes a revised strategic action plan for the APEC Telecommunications and Information Working Group in 2010-2015.